Where To Use This Tomato Sauce
You can use this keto Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce in a variety of dishes, including my familys favorite Sausage Parmigiana. Simply freeze it in two or three cup batches, and youre good to go!
You can even add some herbs and spices to this basic recipe, jazzing it however you like. Use it over Zucchini Noodles, or in any of your favorite dishes.
Quick Skillet Keto Tomato Sauce With Fresh Tomatoes
Yes, you can make keto friendly tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes. There are times I make a quick skillet sauce with fresh tomatoes when I need a small amount of tomato sauce for a particular dish. Fresh tomatoes contain a lot of water. The larger surface area of a skillet helps cut down on cooking time by allowing more evaporation to occur, concentrating flavor.
Its best to squeeze out the jelly and seeds from the tomatoes to eliminate excess water before cooking.
- Optional: Fresh basil sprig, Fresh parsley sprig
Slice tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze seeds and jelly into the trash. Dice tomatoes or pulse them in a food processor or blender. Slice the garlic and add it to the cold skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Turn the skillet to medium heat and gently cook the garlic stirring occasionally, until the garlic softens a bit and the oil is flavored. Add the tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano and salt. Stir and simmer hard for several minutes to encourage the tomatoes to break down and the extra water to evaporate. Towards the end of cooking, add fresh herbs and cook until wilted. Remove the herbs before using. Taste to adjust seasoning.
Makes approximately 2 cups and yields 4, 1/2 cup servings.
How To Make Your Own Keto Tomato Sauce
So is red sauce keto? Not often. But if you want to make some keto-friendly recipes, the good news is that you can make your own keto tomato sauce. And its a lot easier than you think! Heres what you need to make your own low carb marinara sauce:
- Canned crushed tomatoes San Marzano tomatoes are especially good if you can find them! You can also get canned whole tomatoes and use a potato masher or immersion blender to get a smoother consistency. Peeled tomatoes will give you the smoothest sauce.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Oregano fresh is ideal but dried is fine
As a side note, if you prefer fresh tomatoes over canned tomatoes, you can use them instead. Plum tomatoes are a good size to choose.
If you like some extra flavor in your sauce, you can add in some extra ingredients like red pepper flakes, fresh basil, or butter.
As you can see, we havent specified exactly how much of each ingredient you need. Thats because different people prefer different consistencies, levels of spice, etc. You can sample the tomato sauce throughout the cooking process and adjust ingredient levels to taste. Heres how to make it:
1. Heat up a fairly large amount of olive oil in a saucepan at least a few tablespoons.
2. Finely chop the garlic cloves and add them. Then add the tomatoes.
3. Add a dash of oregano and pinch of salt. Check the flavor and add more as needed. You can also add in other spices at this point if you want.
Read Also: Foods Good For Keto Diet
What Marinara Sauce Is Best For Keto
Here are the keto pasta sauces we tried:
- Ragu Simply Pasta Sauce. 2.5g Fat | 8g Net Carbs | 2g Protein | Serving Size 1/2 cup.
- Raos Pasta Sauce. 8g Fat | 4g Net Carbs | 1g Protein | Serving Size 1/2 cup.
- Yo Mommas Pasta Sauce. 4.5g Fat | 4g Net Carbs | 1g Protein | Serving Size 1/2 cup.
- Daves Gourmet Pasta Sauce.
Dont Miss: Rao Tomato Sauce Costco
Keto Gnocchi With Fresh Spinach Sauce Recipe
Homemade Keto Gnocchi with Fresh Spinach, Garlic, and Sour Cream brings you a perfect Keto Comfort Food of Low Carb Gnocchi with Pillowy Texture and freshness from other Ingredients. This Easy Keto Pasta Recipe is fully Gluten-Free, Low Carb, Grain-Free with a Potato taste that brings your family Home cooking to the next level.
Recommended Reading: Recipe For Keto Banana Bread
Quick Skillet Keto Tomato Sauce With Canned Tomatoes
This keto tomato sauce uses canned San Marzano Tomatoes for convenience. Cooking it in a large skillet cuts down on time but not on flavor. Make sure to choose a good quality brand like Cento or San Marzano with tomato puree added.
- Optional: Fresh basil sprig or Fresh parsley sprigs
Crush tomatoes by-hand or pulse them in a food processor or blender for a smoother consistency. Slice the garlic and add it to the cold skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Turn the skillet to medium heat and gently cook the garlic stirring occasionally, until the garlic softens a bit and the oil is flavored. Add the tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, and salt. Fill the can 1/4 full with water and add it to the skillet. Stir and simmer hard for several minutes to encourage the tomatoes to break down and the extra water to evaporate. A splatter screen is nice to use. Towards the end of cooking add the fresh herbs and simmer until wilted. Remove the herbs and taste to adjust seasoning.
Makes approximately 4 cups and yields 8, 1/2 cup servings.
Why This Recipe Works
- Healthy: This delicious keto marinara sauce is naturally gluten-free, vegan, and made with fresh ingredients you you can feel good about! Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C, antioxidants, and fiber too. If youre looking for some sauces for your low-carb diet, then youll love this one!
- Kid-Friendly: Perfectly suitable for those of all ages, this creamy sauce is great for the entire family.
- Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce: With only a few simple steps, this recipe is ready in no time. It really couldnt be any easier, and its so much cheaper and tastier than store-bought sauce!
- Perfect for Low Carb Diets: This sauce has only 4 grams of total carbs and 3 grams of net carbs per serving!
Don’t Miss: How Much Protein Do I Need On Keto
Difference Between Fresh Tomatoes Vs Canned Tomatoes
Well, besides the obvious, there are many things that separate fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes. In fact, when it comes to preparing ingredients such as this tomato sauce, many cooks will swear that canned tomatoes are better.
The main reason for this comes down to simplicity. Canned tomatoes are already peeled and cooked. Peeling the skin from tomatoes can be a lengthy process. Utilizing canned tomatoes can save a lot of effort when putting recipes together.
Helpful Insights About Raos Homemade Linguine
- Net Carbs are 19% of calories per serving, at 40g per serving. This food is risky for the keto diet but its still keto-friendly. However, consuming this item may limit your ability to eat more foods that contain carbs. Take into consideration whether you intend to consume additional meals. Search for foods within standard keto guidelines
- This foods %DV for sodium is 0%. At 0mg, its considered low in sodium according to the FDAs standard for %DV . The organization considers any food with %DV of less than 5% as low in sodium.
Recommended Reading: Can I Eat Chickpeas On Keto
Arent Tomatoes Too High In Net Carbs For Keto
Tomatoes are a fruit, which means theyre a little higher in carbs than most low-carb vegetables. But that doesnt mean you have to avoid them on a keto diet.
Tomatoes can definitely be enjoyed in small amounts without blowing your daily carb budget. This recipe uses just one can of tomatoes over two to three servings, which is hardly anything to worry about.
Not to mention tomatoes are loaded with health benefits! They even contain potassium, an electrolyte thats super important to stay on top of if you follow a keto diet.
In other words, tomatoes are definitely a keto-friendly vegetable. We use them all the time in our Italian dishes. And in our opinion, a keto diet without tomatoes just isnt worth it!
Will You Be Making Keto Spaghetti Sauce
Homemade keto spaghetti sauce is a fantastic, low calorie, low sugar, and low carb sauce perfect for a healthy, keto-friendly diet. In fact, this recipe is bursting with flavor and packed full of the good stuff, so its an excellent option for anyone!
Spice it up or thicken it up with just a few tweaks to the original recipe. This recipe is so versatile and that is exactly why we love it! Our recipe is super easy to prepare, and you can use the sauce in many of your favorite Italian-inspired dishes.
Why not bookmark our keto spaghetti sauce for your next low carb dinner?
Leave a comment
Recommended Reading: Difference Between Low Carb And Keto
Storing Freezing & Canning Keto Tomato Sauce
Refrigerating Homemade Keto Tomato Sauce: Refrigerate your keto tomato sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Freezing Homemade Keto Tomato Sauce: Freeze your sauce in clean airtight containers, up to 3 months.
Canning Homemade Keto Tomato Sauce:
- PINT Add 1/4 tsp. citric acid or 1 tbsp. bottled lemon juice* per pint.
- QUART Add 1/2 tsp. citric acid or 2 tbsp. bottled lemon juice* per quart.
*Why bottled lemon juice? Fresh lemons vary in water and acid content while bottled lemon juice has the same amount of acidity every time.
Are Tomatoes Keto Approved
Nothing beats the taste of fresh tomatoes on a salad, burger, etc. But can you eat tomatoes on a keto diet?
The answer here is yes. Provided you dont eat a very large serving size, fresh tomatoes can be a healthy part of a well-rounded keto diet or otherwise low-carb diet.
Tomatoes come in various serving sizes. But a common serving size is one medium whole tomato. Medium fresh tomatoes have 22 calories each. There are 4.82 carbs per serving and 1.5 grams of fiber. That means there are 3.32 net carbs per serving.
Of course, your net carb budget will vary depending on the exact keto diet youre following. But generally speaking, many people on keto set their allowed net carbs per day to about 25-50. If youre getting ready to start keto , this video will help you decide how many of each macronutrient you need per day. Generally speaking, keto diet plans are low in carbs, high in fat, and moderate in protein.
Also Check: Keto Chicken Wings Air Fryer
Barilla Fire Roasted Marinara Sauce
For a popular store-bought brand, this specific flavor of Barilla actually has a super healthy profile: it’s low-cal and fat-free, plus packs more fiber and protein per serving than many other marinara sauces. Did we forget to mention the sugar? There’s only five grams of sugar, tooso this really is a sauce you can feel good about serving.
How To Thicken Marinara Sauce
This pasta sauce should be thick enough to enjoy after simmering for several minutes uncovered, but if you want it even thicker then here are a couple of ways to thicken your pasta sauce.
You May Like: Raos At Costco
Don’t Miss: Can You Do Keto While Pregnant
How To Shop For Low
If pasta is in your dinner rotation every week, youre probably buying jarred marinara sauce pretty regularly . And marinara sauce can be a healthy addition to your weeknight meals: its often loaded with veggies but lacking in the fat and calories that come with cream-based sauces like alfredo.
The problem is that if you dont check out the label on the back of your jar, you could be inadvertently wiping out all the health benefits of marinara with sky-high amounts of sugar.
A serving size of marinara is usually ½ cup, says Amy Shapiro, RD, CDN, and founder of Real Nutrition. Aim for a sauce with about 35 to 50 calories, with sugar only coming from the tomatoes.
According to Shapiro, heres what to look for when youre shopping for healthy marinara sauces:
- The best options contain five grams or less of sugar, and roughly the same amount of carbs. Ideally, you would hit less than 400 milligrams of sodium, too, but its pretty hard to find sauces that are low in sugar and sodium unless youre able to shell out big bucks for organic jars.
- Look for minimal ingredients. Shapiro says this means only three or four whole foods plus herbs and spices. If sugar is added, it should be far down on the list, not near the top.
- Organic and local options are good ways to ensure youre getting a cleaner, less processed sauce, but its not a necessity. In fact, Shapiros favorite brand isnt organic, but she says its still simple and downright delicious.
How To Use Keto Marinara:
I love this marinara sauce! But I cant take all the credit. The base for this recipe comes from Ibreatheimhungry.com blogs Easy Keto MarinaraSauce. I simply tweaked it a little and added some balsamic vinegar. Trust me, it is amazing. And you need it in your life.
Whether you are counting carbs or not, there are so many delicious ways to use this Keto Marinara. And since it is so easy, this is a great sauce to make up and have on hand for when the mood hits you for some delicious marinara. You may love it enough to simply eat it with a spoon. I know I do.
Just wait my friends there are so many ways to use this fabulous recipe.
You May Like: Best Keto Supplements For Weight Loss
Raos Keto Marinara Sauce
Have you heard of Raos Marinara Sauce?
Perfect Homemade Italian Low Carb Tomato Sauce, which is store-bought and fits fully with our Keto Lifestyle.
Wanna Save Money?
Choose the cost-effective way and make your own Sugar-Free Marinara Sauce with us.
The carb intake per serving and ingredients are exactly the same as our homemade keto pasta sauce recipe, you can whip it up in no time.
Can I eat Marinara Sauce on Keto?
Even though tomatoes are slightly higher in carbs, if you are using them properly and following the servings, you can perfectly add your Marinara Sauce into a Keto Diet.
Can I use Fresh Tomatoes instead of canned in Marinara Sauce?
Yes, you can certainly use fresh tomatoes instead of canned in this sugar-free tomato sauce, but blanch them and peel the skin if you would like to have that smooth consistency.On the other side, the skin adds more fiber as well as antioxidants to your meal and if you use an Immersion blender, it should smooth it out fully.
Helpful Insights About Blue Bunny Premium Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- Net Carbs are 11% of calories per serving, at 16g per serving. This food is safe for the keto diet. If the amount is close to 25g per serving, consider whether youre going to eat more food later.
- This foods %DV for sodium is 2%. At 45mg, its considered low in sodium according to the FDAs standard for %DV . The organization considers any food with %DV of less than 5% as low in sodium.
You May Like: How To Count Net Carbs On Keto
Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
If you loved our previous entry, youll fall head over heels for this one since it is a meat-free spaghetti sauce. We found it on Happy Veggie Kitchen, a website 100% dedicated to vegetarian recipes.
While we understand that not everyone has the time to chop up fresh vegetables, we still believe they make for a tastier sauce.
As for the brown sugar, you probably already know that it has to go, but well reiterate it just in case. You can once again use stevia or monk fruit as substitutes.
Is Canned Tomato Sauce Keto
Both tomato sauce and marinara use tomatoes as a base, but tomato sauce will typically have extra ingredients.
Its hard to say whether a tomato sauce at a restaurant is keto-friendly, but since many people have access to canned tomato sauce, lets focus on that.
However, when eating out, use your best judgment when it comes to tomato sauce. Most commercial tomato sauces are likely to have added sugars.
Is canned tomato sauce keto friendly? Tomato sauce is moderately keto-friendly, depending on the preparation and brand. Most people will be able to fit one to two servings of tomato sauce within their daily carbohydrate budget.
Also Check: Does Keto Diet Really Work
Difference Between Tomato Sauce Vs Marinara Sauce
It is a common misconception that marinara sauce and tomato sauce are identical and can be interchanged freely. The truth is they have many things that separate them.
Tomato sauce, however, requires a few more steps and a lot of seasoning and balancing. Further, a tomato sauce is typically blended making it thicker and smoother.