What About Hummus On Keto
When I think about chickpeas, hummus is what first comes to mind. I absolutely love hummus. However, it does contain more carbs than I would typically recommend for keto dieting. On average hummus seems to contains about 3 net carbs per 2 Tbsp. That is not by any means low when considering we are only talking about a few tablespoons.
That said, as long as you keep your carbs in check you can obviously eat a small amount of hummus on a keto diet. Though I do love hummus I would say that for me it is simply not worth the carbs. Thankfully, however, there are plenty of great keto hummus recipes online that you can find.
Typically these keto hummus recipes call for keto-friendly ingredients like macadamia nuts and avocados instead of chickpeas. That said, I would recommend making your own hummus if you want to keep it as keto-friendly as possible.
Which Beans Are Keto
Keto-friendly beans On a strict keto diet, your best bet for beans is to choose either green beans or black soybeans. While green beans are typically prepared more like a vegetable than a bean, black soybeans are a great alternative to other, starchier beans in soups, bean dips, refried beans, or other recipes.
Examining Chickpeas For Keto Dieters
Per 2-ounce serving, chickpeas are a nutritional powerhouse. They’re packed with protein, healthy fat, fiber, and folate, along with iron and other trace minerals. So far so good, but they also have around 16 carbs, 13 of which are net for the same serving. Additionally, this is per 2-ounce serving, which is a very small amount of food. Most of the time, whether you’re eating them roasted or in falafel, chickpeas are going to be in much greater serving sizes.
This makes their carb-to-benefit ratio too high to really consider for keto dieters. There are substitutes which we will look at, including versions of hummus and falafel that taste like the real thing without all the carbs.
Also Check: Keto Friendly Dinners For Family
Chickpeas Are Out But There Are Other Options For The Keto Diet
Even though chickpeas are healthy and delicious, they’re not a good fit for the keto diet. They’re too high in carbs for too small of a serving. Luckily, there are alternatives in both black soybeans, cauliflower, and other imaginative combinations of foods for your favorite chickpea recipes.
Although you can’t enjoy chickpeas by themselves, roasted black soybeans are a great keto snack, and keto versions of falafel and hummus will have your cravings for the real thing sated.
Using these alternatives can provide you with the tastes you love that you might be missing with keto.
Does Hummus Fit The Keto Diet
Hummus can definitely be part of your keto diet, but just one or two servings can quickly expend a significant portion of your daily carb allotment.
If you do eat hummus, youll want to limit yourself to a small amount perhaps just 24 tablespoons , which provide 48 grams of net carbs.
Plus, its best to carefully plan the other foods that you eat to ensure that your carb count remains low enough to stay in ketosis, which is the metabolic state of burning fat for fuel rather than carbs .
Also, remember to carefully measure your serving, as its easy to overestimate how much 24 tablespoons really is.
Additionally, youll want to avoid dessert hummus, which typically is chocolate-flavored and contains added sugar .
Read Also: How To Poop On Keto
How To Cook Dry Garbanzo Beans:
If you have time and you prefer to cook foods from scratch, follow these steps:
I Watched As The Fat Melted Away & I Got My Life Back My Husband Noticed And Even My Son Told Me I Look Good Haha
- Without doing any exercise at all! Exercise is completely optional and NOT recommended when you are getting started!
- I ate all my favorite foods there wasnt one thing I was forced to eat or had to choke down!
- Within about 48 hours I got rid of all my cravings! For the first time in forever I felt like a normal person!
- I didnt ever once feel like I was starving myself or doing without
- I still went out to eat with the family knowing that I could order a regular meal that tasted good!
- The weight came off faster and easier than I ever imagined it could!
Also Check: Is Baked Ham Keto Friendly
Garbanzo Beans Keto Substitutes
Yes, there is a keto substitute for chickpeas! If you still crave these legumes on a ketogenic lifestyle, try these alternatives instead:
- Boiled Peanuts These make a good canned garbanzo bean substitute in soups or stews. Rinse them first, as they may be salty.
- Lupini Beans Their texture is somewhat similar to chickpeas and like chickpeas, you can make lupini beans in the air fryer!
- Cauliflower Rice Depending on the recipe, this swap can make up for some of the bulk that garbanzo beans would provide.
- Keto Hummus If you miss traditional hummus , try this totally keto alternative instead!
- Almond Flour Depending on the recipe, you may be able to trade this with garbanzo bean flour.
- Omit the beans Sometimes, you can skip the beans altogether you might not notice theyre gone!
Reason # 1 Chickpeas Will Kick You Out Of Ketosis
Chickpeas are notorious for being high in carbs. Just one tablespoon of chickpeas has 8 grams of carbs which is nearly a fourth of the amount of carbs you should have in one day while following a keto diet.
If you actually want to make a meal or a snack out of chickpeas, youre looking at 57 grams of carbs for one can of chickpeas.
Although chickpeas are an excellent source of fiber, they may still kick you out of ketosis.
There are, however, many keto-friendly substitutions that can be made. For example, a keto hummus can be made by using cauliflower, artichoke, or zucchini instead of chickpeas.
That way, you wont miss the flavor of hummus or the health benefits it provides.
You May Like: Are Pickles Good For Keto
Can You Eat Chickpeas On The Keto Diet
Well, that depends. Can you control the portion size? They have numerous health benefits, so including them in small amounts is a good idea. Since the serving of ½ cup contains more than 10 g of net carbohydrate, you could instead enjoy ¼ of a cup, which will provide you with around 8 g of net carbohydrate and 3 g of fiber Meal planning will always help you to stay within your daily carbohydrate allowance. Decide how many carbs you can spare that day without going over your daily total.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Do not over blend if you want thicker hummus. The more you blend , the smoother it becomes. I tend to pulse everything until no thick chunks of cauliflower remain. Then, I pulse in 10-15 second spurts,
- Taste the hummus before serving it. The amount of spice listed is a recommendation, so feel free to add extra salt, paprika, or even more lemon juice!
- Dont use frozen cauliflower! Whether you steam or roast your cauliflower first, it must be from a fresh one. Frozen cauliflower, even after cooking it, will continue to seep out extra liquid and will result in an extra watery hummus!
Also Check: Is Rice On The Keto Diet
What Ingredients Are There In The Slim Acv Keto Supplement
16 hours while Weight loss types eating all Garden of life raw fit high protein for weight loss three How To Lose Weight In Midsection meals within an eight hour window.
Plus, every portion is made precisely for the dieter, ensuring the Erika Cockrell Lost 167 Lbs best possibility of How Long Does It Take The Body To Get Into Ketosis success.
Using a BHB salt Best Diets For Weight Loss to induce Remove weight loss reviews ketosis When you lose weight do your feet get smaller in your body also adds the benefit of increased minerals and electrolytes content.
This Hearty Keto Salads To Up Your Lunch Game diet can have adverse effects on people with underlying kidney issues or Weight loss food programs liver problems, as the Keto friendly bread target increased load due to fat Weight Loss Shakes and protein can be harmful.
Unfortunately, reaching ketosis is very difficult for most people, Chrissy Metz Weight Loss 2022 as it often takes severe carbohydrate restriction for several Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss Weight Loss Smoothies days or more.
Always consult your doctor .
Can You Have Chickpeas On Keto
In short, chickpeas are poorly suited for the ketogenic diet since they are a high-carbohydrate food.
Although some people argue that small amounts do not exceed the average tolerance limit of 50 grams of carbohydrates per day, chickpeas are not recommended.
On the one hand, you will already be eating small amounts of carbohydrates as part of other meals.
On the other hand, the relative amount in chickpeas is such that they can easily kick you out of ketosis.
Read Also: What Berries Can You Eat On Keto
What Are Some Keto Friendly Alternatives For Hummus
Hummus can be a convenient and delicious snack in small quantities for keto dieters, but it will still deliver carbs that could be better enjoyed elsewhere. Even worse, the relatively low number of net carbs in hummus could push you out of ketosis if you consumed carbs elsewhere during your day.
Thats why many people on a keto diet look for keto hummus alternatives to eat conveniently on the go or as a quick snack. Below are three hummus alternatives we love and eat regularly!
Can I Eat Chickpeas Occasionally
Legumes, beans, and any kind of lentil are all starchy foods. They may be nutritious, but their high carb count wont help you reach ketosis. Limit these legumes on the keto diet:
- Chickpeas/garbanzo beans
A safe way to enjoy chickpeas while on a low carb diet, is ground them into hummus. Although the main ingredient in hummus is predominantly chickpeas, which are high in carbs after theyre combined with the other ingredients in hummus, , the carb count is reduced.
A ¼ cup serving of hummus contains only 12 grams of carbs. It can be enjoyed with veggies or as a condiment to meals, just be sure to avoid eating it with bread or pita chips.
Check out my article, Is Hummus Keto Friendly? to learn all about the health benefits of hummus and how to incorporate this delicious dip into your low carb diet.
You May Like: How To Get Potassium On Keto
Why Chickpeas Are Bad For You
People should not eat raw chickpeas or other raw pulses, as they contain toxins and substances that are difficult to digest. Even cooked chickpeas have complex sugars that can be difficult to digest and lead to intestinal gas and discomfort. Introduce legumes into the diet slowly so that the body can get used to them.
Are Chickpeas Keto Carbs In Chickpeas
Chickpeas are a popular legume that tastes fantastic and can be used in various healthy recipes, including hummus, falafel, salads, and even roasted chickpeas. But here comes the question: are chickpeas keto? Read this article to find out if chickpeas are keto compliant or too high carb.
Also Check: Can You Take Metamucil On Keto
Bread Grains And Pasta
Both white and whole wheat bread contain significant amounts of carbohydrates, as do pasta, rice, and grains such as oats. Its best to limit consumption of these foods as much as possible when on a low carb diet.
Cutting bread, grains, and pasta out of your diet may sound intimidating, since these foods form the base of a typical meal for many people. Eating oatmeal for breakfast, packing a sandwich for lunch, and cooking spaghetti for a quick weeknight dinner can be hard habits to break. Luckily, plenty of recipe websites and cookbooks have been created for people who are trying to meet their carbohydrate goals. Your doctor or nutritionist can also make helpful suggestions on how to structure low carb meals.
Lower Carb Alternatives To Hummus
While a small serving or two of hummus may be fine to have occasionally on the keto diet, you may want an alternative thats lower in carbs, especially if youre craving a dip. Here are a few options:
- Baba ganoush. Baba ganoush is a Mediterranean spread and dip made from eggplant rather than chickpeas, although the other ingredients are similar. This baba ganoush recipe contains about 3 grams of net carbs per 3-tablespoon serving.
- Paté. Paté is a smooth spread made from cooked chicken, beef, or duck liver. Its high in fat and typically only contains trace amounts of carbs . A 2-tablespoon serving of this chicken liver pate recipe doesnt contain any carbs.
- Black soybean hummus. You can also make your own hummus from black soybeans, which are extremely high in fiber, to keep the net carb count on the lower side. This black soybean hummus contains 2 grams of net carbs per 3-tablespoon serving.
Spreads and dips like baba ganoush, liver pate, and black soybean hummus are much lower in carbs than hummus and may be a better fit for the keto diet.
You May Like: Can You Eat Salt On Keto
What Are Some Alternatives To Hummus You Can Eat On Keto
If you are looking for foods that are similar to hummus but lower in carbs, you might want to consider these options.
- Tahini.“Tahini is sesame paste. Its creamy and nutty-flavored, and is often added to hummus,” says Majumdar. It contains three grams of carbohydrates, two grams of fiber, eight grams of fat, and three grams of protein per tablespoon serving.
- Chimichurri. Chimichurri is a parsley-based sauce or dressing made with olive oil, garlic, white vinegar, and a spicy pepper like cayenne or chipotle, says Majumdar. It makes a great dip or sauce, adding a ton of flavor and a dose of healthy fats from the olive oil. It typically contains 1.3 grams of carbohydrate, 0.5 of gram fiber, and five grams of fat per two tablespoons.
- Almond or any nut butter. “Nut butters add a lot of flavor and creaminess to foods,” says Majumdar. “They can be added to a dressing, served alongside crunchy veggies, or made into a marinade for meat or tofu.” Each tablespoon serving of almond butter contains about 3.5 grams of protein, nine grams of fat, three grams of carbohydrates, and 1.5 grams of fiber.
Nutritional Content Of Hummus
The nutritional content of any hummus depends on how it was prepared and the specific manufacturer. Different brands of hummus are known to contain varying amounts of ingredients.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, a typical 100-gram serving of hummus will usually contain:
- 607 mg of sodium
Hummus obviously will deliver lower net carbs than chickpeas.
It also has a higher fat content therefore, it is a better keto diet than chickpeas.
Also Check: Keto Chicken Wings Air Fryer
Potential Health Benefits Of Chickpeas
In addition to protein, chickpeas contain dietary fiber, which may moderate their effects on blood glucose and insulin levels .
Compared to refined carbohydrates, this is an advantage considering a low-carb diet.
In addition, legumes contain higher amounts of the following vitamins and minerals :
Due to the considerable content of minerals and proteins, it is hard to imagine a vegan diet without chickpeas.
However, their health benefits are generally overestimated because the human body can only absorb micronutrients from the bean to a limited extent.
How Do You Make Cauliflower Hummus
Being such an easy and simple recipe, this is one of those dishes that benefit from using the best quality ingredients possible. this means using a good quality olive oil, freshly mincing the garlic, and squeezing an actual lemon. We all love short cuts but take the extra minute or two and you wont regret it!
You May Like: Oprah Winfrey Keto Gummies Reviews
Is Hummus Allowed On A Keto Diet
About 2 cups of chickpeas make 1 cup hummus because they are ground down to form a paste. This means that hummus is concentrated and thus will contain more carbs cup for cup.
This being said, you can use hummus in a number of ways and so dont necessarily need a large portion, if you control your portions you can easily incorporate it into your plan. Check out our article “Is hummus keto-friendly?” to learn more!
What If Chickpeas Hurt My Stomach
There is some evidence that beans can cause some stomach upset if you arent used to them . Therefore, start slow and eat in smaller amounts before building up. It is important to rinse them before use, and remove the skin if you experience discomfort. If you have IBS, please discuss it with a registered dietitian.
Read Also: Benton’s Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
Are Chickpeas Keto Carbs In Chickpeas + Substitutes
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are popular legumes similar to pinto or cannellini beans.
They are known to be filling, healthy and can be a good addition to salads or roasted for snacking. And everyone knows them in a form of a popular hummus dip. But are chickpeas also keto-friendly?
The Keto diet doesnt restrict you from eating specific foods, as long as you stay within the recommended carbohydrate intake. Chickpeas, with 44 grams of carbs per 1 cup serving , are not keto-friendly.
When following the ketogenic diet, most approaches suggest staying under 30 grams of carbohydrates per day . If you wanted to include chickpeas in your daily intake, you would only be able to eat a very small amount, less than one 28-gram serving.
If chickpeas arent ketogenic-friendly, what about some popular foods made out of chickpeas, like hummus or falafel? How can you make these ketogenic-friendly? And what are the alternatives to chickpeas that wont kick you out of ketosis?